The Lanchester Mk.1 submachine gun, or Lanchester Mk.1 machine carbine in contemporary British nomenclature, was a very close copy of German Schmeisser MP-28 submachine gun. It was developed by George H. Lanchester and manufactured by Sterling Engineering Co between 1941 and 1945. This weapon was made in two versions, Mk.1 and Mk.1* (Mark 1, star). The latter was a simplified version of the original Mark 1, with omitted fire mode selector, and thus firing in full automatic mode only. Most Lanchester submachine guns went for British Navy.
The Lanchester Mk.1 submachine gun is blowback operated, selective-fire weapon that fired from open bolt. Tubular receiver was attached to the front of the wooden stock, and could be pivoted barrel down for maintenance and disassembly. Magazines are inserted from the left side, ejection is to the right. Magazine housing was made from brass. Manual safety is made in the form of locking cut, made in the receiver, which engages the bolt handle to lock bolt in open (cocked) position. Fire mode selector was located in front of the trigger, and was not present on Mk.1* weapons. Standard sights consisted of blade front and tangent rear sight, marked from 100 and up to 600 yards (approx 550 meters). Some Mk.1* guns had simplified, flip-up rear sights marked for 100 and 200 yards. The wooden stock was patterned after that of Lee-Enfield rifle, and gun accepted 1907-pattern knife-bayonet, originally developed for the above mentioned rifle.
Sterling Engineering Co.
9x19mm Luger / Parabellum
Rate of fire: