Bergmann secured a contract with Spanish in 1905 for the Bergmann-Mars (aka Model No. 6 or No. 6a), and had contracted with Schilling of Shul to actually do the production run. But Heinrick Krieghoff purchased Schilling, and Krieghoff cancelled the contract with Bergmann.
As a result, production of the Mars was licensed to Anciens Establissement Pieper of Liege in Belgium in 1907. Pieper completed the Spanish contract, and then made some modifications to the pistol and sold the changed pistol as the Bergmann-Bayard - this is the Model 1908.
Pieper then made some additional changes, including finger cutouts in the bottom of the magazine well, and this comprised the Model 1910. A number of Model 1910's were sold to the Danes (as the "m/1910"). There followed a contract to Greece after the end of the Second Balkan War (1913), but the contract had not been completed in 1914 when Belgium fell to the Germans. Pieper production of the Bergmann-Bayard ended at that time and was never resumed.
The Danes began production of the Bergmann-Bayard in 1922, and ceased production in 1935.
Production Bergmann-Bayard pistols were chambered for the 9 m/m Bergmann-Bayard (our own beloved 9 m/m Largo), and magazines had a capacity of either six rounds (most common) or ten rounds.
9mm x 23 Bergmann-Bayard [9mm Largo]
6 Grooves, rh
6 or 10 Rounds
In service dates: