The model 1805 U.S. Marshal "Harper`s Ferry" flintlock pistol, manufactured at the Harpers Ferry Armory in Virginia (now West Virginia), was the first pistol manufactured by a national armory.
Harper`s Ferry models 1805, 1806, 1807 and 1808 flintlock pistols were all identical and there were no changes in design during this model year sequence. The pistol was a .54 caliber, single-shot, smoothbore, flintlock pistol intended for field duty and was issued as an Officer`s pistol. Harper`s Ferry model 1805–1808 flintlock pistols were known then as “horsemen`s pistols” and were produced in pairs; both pistols having identical serial numbers. With just one shot readily available without reloading, a "brace" was the standard issue (a pair of two flintlock pistols were known as a "brace"). Horse accouterments also included a standard pair of saddle holsters. No serial number higher than 2048 has ever been discovered—and that is exactly half of the number recorded as produced at the Harper`s Ferry Armory. There are between 200–300 of these pistols known to exist today.
Currently manufactured reproductions of the original pistols are made with a larger caliber than the original, as well as a rifled bore for more accurate shooting. There is one reproduction available modeled after the percussion converted Harper`s Ferry pistols that is built with the correct .54 caliber smooth bore as well.
The model 1805–1808 U.S. Marshal "Harper`s Ferry" flintlock pistol is used today on the insignia of the U.S. Army Military Police Corps.
Harper`s Ferry Pistol - Shooting and Loading
How to disassemble and assemble the Harpers Ferry Model 1805